Bob is a business lawyer focused on mergers and acquisitions, contracting, and regulatory matters. He is particularly well known for his long-time involvement with the utility, mining, transportation and financial services industries. He is a skillful negotiator of business deals and a very experienced contract draftsman.
He also has broad experience in dealing with a wide array of regulatory agencies and other governmental bodies. Major steel companies, mining companies, cement manufacturers, truck and bus lines, warehousing companies, financial institutions, and electric and gas utilities benefit from Bob’s advice.
On corporate and general business issues, Bob advises clients on the formation of new businesses, not only corporations, but also limited liability companies and partnerships.
Every year since 1991, Bob has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America®.
Banking & Financial Institutions
- Acted as general counsel for a banking trade association for more than 18 years providing advice on new legislation and regulations on both the state and federal levels, as well as assistance to member banks on specific regulatory and corporate governance matters.
Business & Corporate Matters
- Represents numerous companies in the formation of corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships.
- Drafts corporate transactional documents, control agreements, stock restriction agreements, non-compete agreements, stock option plans, phantom stock plans, and other employee and executive incentive plants.
Mining, Energy & Regulated Industries
- Routinely represents taconite, gold, and copper/nickel mines, paper and pulp mills, oil refineries, steel mills, and cement manufacturers on a broad array of energy matters including representation in retail rate cases, negotiation of utility contracts, advice with respect to energy-related legislation and regulations, and rulemaking proceedings.
- Regularly negotiates coal and unit train railroad contracts for utilities, and mining companies.
- Negotiated the purchase and sale of power plants and transmission facilities.
- Litigated more than 30 major electric and gas rate cases.
- Represented Appellants and Appellees on the appeal of energy-related issues to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Represented major railroad customers in coal transportation rate proceedings.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented both buyers and sellers in the sale of taconite mines, and related industrial and real estate assets.
- Acted as seller’s counsel on sale of an ethanol refinery.
- Acted as seller’s counsel on the sale of a regional chain of retail stores.
- Acted as seller’s counsel on the sale of a food products distributor.
- Acted as local counsel in the acquisition of a major paper and pulp mill.
- Represented both buyers and sellers in the sale of several truck and bus lines.
- Acted as local or special counsel in many transactions in support of multi-state transactions.