Deborah handles a broad array of litigation matters, focusing on complex commercial disputes, real estate, construction, insurance coverage, and intellectual property. She has represented clients before state and federal trial and appellate courts, and in arbitration and administrative proceedings.
Deborah’s clients include individuals, manufacturers, contractors and suppliers, financial institutions, and title insurers. In all matters and for all clients, Deborah is committed to providing efficient, cost-effective legal services with attention to responsiveness, timeliness, and the production of high quality legal work.
Deborah has counseled her clients in the following types of matters:
- Intellectual property disputes involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
- Real estate and lending disputes, such as those concerning transactions that failed to close, lien priority, easements, commercial landlords and tenants, and title defects.
- Insurance coverage disputes on behalf of liability policyholders.
- Commercial and contract disputes.
- Disputes between contractors, suppliers, and project owners involving allegations of contractual violations, professional negligence, and intentional tort.
“We selected DeWitt Ross & Stevens’ legal services to settle a real estate contract dispute that we became involved in. Attorney Meiners’ experience and expertise in the area of contract law was invaluable to the settlement of our case. She was always available to answer our questions, while guiding us patiently through the legal process. Her ability to present all of our legal options in understandable terms made the decisions we needed to make that much easier. A very sincere “Thank You” to Attorney Meiners, for all of her hard work and for making our legal experience a positive one!” – Greg and Tonya Ringler
- Represented individual sellers of real estate in lawsuit to recover tens of thousands of dollars in earnest money after the sale failed to close.
- Represented contractor in trial resulting in judgment in excess of $570,000 against homeowner who breached a construction agreement and failed to pay.
- Primary author of briefing on behalf of a commercial tenant to obtain a ruling finding that the landlord had wrongfully failed to honor an extension of the commercial lease.
- Primary author of briefing before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit to secure a decision allowing an individual to pursue fraud claims in Wisconsin against a real estate developer who failed to complete a condominium development in Mexico.
- Working with a shareholder, successfully obtained a ruling on behalf of an individual client finding coverage under both a homeowners insurance policy and an umbrella policy.
- Working with a shareholder, defended a small business and business-owner in a lawsuit against a former employee concerning the employee’s alleged ownership interest in the company.
- Negotiated a favorable distribution and license agreement between a therapeutic services corporation and a supplier, successfully avoiding costly trademark and trade secrets litigation in the process.
Articles and Presentations
- Presenter: “The Lifecycle of an Employment Relationship in Six Acts,” DeWitt Ross & Stevens Fall Employment Law Seminar, October 2018
- “So You Got a Reservation of Rights Letter, Now What? A Policyholders Perspective,” Wisconsin Association of Corporate Counsel, May 2016, with Megan Senatori
- “Objection Perplexion: Avoid Sanctions By Knowing Your Jurisdiction Before Objecting to Form in a Deposition,” Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association Newsletter, February 2015
- “The Basics of Commercial General Liability Insurance Coverage and Additional Insured Status on Construction Projects,” 2014 State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Meeting & Conference, with Megan Senatori, June 26, 2014
- “Constitutional Law,” 2014 Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE, with co-author Kevin M. Scott
- “Ethical Issues Presented by e-Discovery,” presentation for the DeWitt Ross & Stevens 2013 Ethics Seminar, with Harry E. Van Camp, October 26, 2013
- “Enforcing Forum Selection Clauses After Atlantic Marine,” Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association Newsletter, March 2014
- “Luddites Beware: The Model Rules Catch Up To 21st Century Practice,” DeWitt Ross & Stevens 2012 Ethics Seminar, November 10, 2012
- “Constitutional Law,” 2012 Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE, with co-author Kevin M. Scott
- “2010 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Newsletter of the Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association, March 2011
- “Document, Discharge, Decide: Elements of Employee Termination,” presentation for the “You Hired Them: Now What?,” DeWitt Ross & Stevens Employment Relations Practice Group November 10, 2010
- “Professionalization in the Chinese Legal System: Current Education and Certification of Chinese Lawyers,” The Bar Examiner May 2007, with co-author Chen Jian